The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Friday, July 15, 2005

The clocks ticking....

Ya! Every passing second brings me closer to something and pulls me away from something else. With really very less time left for Campus placements and preparation still in the pre-development phase, all I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed. I dont know what lies ahead of me, I have no idea of what I am going to do whatever I have and what I had.
Done many courses, studied a lot, learnt a few things... where am I going to apply it? What is it that is awaiting for me in future? Should I prepare for interviews and go for a job? Should I pursue my interests and do something else? Should I give up to the society's yardstick of measuring someone's intelligence and capability with the pay packet he takes home every month? Should I go for a company that gives me the highest package or should I go for a company that gives an interesting job profile? Lots of questions... And the funniest part is I can't pose any of these to any of my friends here, because I know behind those happy, smiling, lazy, reclusive faces lie a plethora of doubts, anxieties and uncertainities about future. I am not the only person who is going through this vicious circle.
The main point is what is it that I was groomed for all these years? If it was these 20-25Kpm, then why did my dad send me all the way here when I could have earned the same or probably more in business assisting him? What do people expect from a person when he completes his education? A degree, responsibility, his pay packet or is it something else?
What is people's yardstick to measure someone's competence? If I am going to join a software firm and code in Java, C etc... what for have I learnt signals, switches, routers, balance sheets etc..? Can't we have a job which gives you scope to pursue all your knowledge and thinking?
What is a person being educated for? For a job that gives him 20-25kpm initially! Then why wasn't I taught C, Java etc.. in my childhood itself? that way, I could have earned a fortune by now... What is the use of all the other things that we have learnt? Not just other courses, but all the social, mental, physical and psychological education that we have recieved through means both conventional and unconventional.
What should a person aim for in life? People very easily say excellence. Perfect! Excellence at what? Earning huge 7-8 figure pay packets? Producing zero defect codes? What excellence are we exactly speaking of? If people pursue everything for money, why was I encouraged to dream? I should have been trained to chase whatever throws out the heaviest money. Where is innovation when you are being asked to follow stereotypes?
I know I will have to break through, but how?
n ya, the clock's ticking... Placements screeching closer! Gotta brush up some more cliched programming concepts.

9 Comments:

At July 14, 2005 9:27 PM, Blogger Alaknanda said...

we had a similar discussion as to why we are doin what we are doin...i.e, pursuing a BE degree from the most rep collgs....when what we wanna do next is a job or a mba..or sometimes a MS...
what ppl made me buy was::
having a btech is what sells....it ll give u a job...and a job will teach u what it wants...and it is pretty rare tht u use what u learned...and techies learn things easily...
and the disc continued to y mba aftr BE and not MS..[:D]

anyways..once u get some answers..lemme knw(or post it too)...i wud love to lissen...[:)]

 
At July 15, 2005 5:49 AM, Blogger Rahul said...

Throughout the process of education do you realise that there is initially a distribution of each kind which you refer to as a ramification of incoherent subject.

Firstly there is always a co-relation in the subjects without the understanding of which I guess you'll have to do the whole Ramayana. As in if you're taught only Subject A and then while you are at work which needs some info from Subject B too (Trust me this happens in most of the cases) you'll find it troublesome to keep the ball rolling. So it's always better to be acquainted with both.

Secondly when you're done with a course you must realise that it's only the appetizer. Now it's for you to choose the entree according to your taste. And when that is also done there is certainly something more that you need to learn. Hence there is a recursion that follows. As in school, we were taught about Bohr's theory both in Physics and Chemistry which could be applied according to the expediency of your work.

I got the point that you're trying to make in the post about preference of pragmatic approaches in education over quixotic ones but that I guess makes all the difference in unskilled labor and skilled labor.

As Alak and you both say, to know how switching over from Management to Technology or vice versa would help, whether they both are in some way coherent or disparate, I should wait for time to tell me.

 
At July 15, 2005 11:45 AM, Blogger Alaknanda said...

i want a version of tht(rahulz comment) in layman terms...[:P]

and haa...the list few lines of rahulz comments sums it all up.."he gotta wait"..[:D]

 
At July 16, 2005 1:51 PM, Blogger Y.M. said...

hey a very good question!!this is what each of us ask ourself at one point of time in life..
about why you are pursuing b tech...may be cuz you wanna learn comp lang and some tech stuff...which you obviousily cant learn when you were in nursery..may be cuz you wanna get into tech field and this is the right way...see learning is a life long process...more you study , more knowledge you gain and hey dude...its not about money...you dont work just for the sake of money...if it would have been a case , i can list of you many easy money ways without b tech...
you work cuz you enjoy doing it...you work for teh sheer love of it..i am doing economics(H) cuz i am in love with economics...i am gonna do MBA not cuz of money...i have better options then slogging my ass off for two yrs...but cuz business is where my soul lies and big bad world of business is where i am supposed to be..
and if you have a choice btw company offering interesting job profile and the one offering more salary...i think you should go for interesting job profile one cuz its your work experience that helps you in long term...and this money..if you will learn more you will earn more...got what i am trying to say?
god bless ya!

 
At July 16, 2005 1:53 PM, Blogger Y.M. said...

and yeah one more thing..
BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR PLACEMENTS

 
At July 17, 2005 2:06 AM, Blogger [Amod] said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 17, 2005 2:10 AM, Blogger [Amod] said...

Live in society and you've to follow societal trends. Its not that you came here to learn C, JAVA, routers.. only, its more abt ur personality dev. You made friends, held various post, blogged etc. , life is a net of various activities not just a single thread of academia or whatever.
Dude you've given me an idea for a new post.... live long!!

@shikha- I heard that you know some ways of making money without btech, what is it?

 
At July 17, 2005 2:27 AM, Blogger Prasoon said...

Fck..
I realise that what I'm studying will never ever help me in life n I obviously am in the wrong place. i shud have pursued my dream, shud've enjoyed what i did but wt?
Look at the placement fever around n you'll understand - I never was menat for a place where all 1 cud do to survive was to ghot. NP for me..
Y n where are we heading too - This question remains unanswered ever after 75% of our UG is completel. We're abt to be Graduates n I realize that what we've done is no good for us.
God guide me _/\_ [Folded hands]

 
At July 19, 2005 9:59 AM, Blogger shaan said...

what man !! dont think so much !!
ull hav ample time to think abt it !! right now hit hard on whatever comes ur way .. make ur mark .. u r the king !!!!
keep the fortress decided abt it sometimes later ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home