The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Friday, August 12, 2005

Effort and Endeavor!

It was in my eighth standard when I first wrote an article and was appreciated. I was inspired, encouraged and since then, nurtured a dream to be a journalist one day, and for sure, I shall be one. I wrote many times in school and then came to college, before which I had to take a hiatus in my eleventh and twelfth for lack of opportunities and excess pressure from the study sector.
Then, I joined college and looked for a chance to write, but I couldn't as the college had no magazine or any other platform to voice our views and opinions. Luckily for me, during the second semester, a friend of mine proposed floating a new magazine for the college. I was very excited and happy to hear that. Not just contributing, but also working for a magazine gave me a new high. Then, within a few days time, to our surprise, a couple of other students sent a mail calling for volunteers to float a magazine. Us or them, no matter who heads, I decided to work and joined them. All was going well, we chose an editor, we had a big team and we had a three month break.
Back to college and I was baffled to see none of those interested and motivated team of 25-30 working for the magazine except for a maximum of 5 of us sweating it out to realise our dream. I decided to give it my best shot and there it was, on August 8th 2003, the first issue of 'The ICTian'. I felt a divine happiness that I can never put into words.It got a lukewarm response, which happens and was expected from a crowd that only has time for games and movies. We went on and on and the number fell down and down. Finally, at a point of time, I remember, it was only me, Anand and Vivek sweating it out and literally begging people for articles. Nevertheless, we carried on and I believe the three of us shared certain chemistry that helped us sustain in our endeavor. We never felt pessimistic nor lost faith in each other. We carried on and stuck to each other through thick and thin, kudos to both of them for making a great team!
Time went on and we had times more worse than the initial semesters when three of us due to
our own constraints, could not allocate sufficient time, took some wrong decisions and let ICTian down. This is something which all the three of us agree. I haven't asked the other two, but I am sure they would agree at least with a part of it.Then, with some infusion of fresh blood, we carried on. Vivek and Anand withdrew due to workload and I guided the juniors who were now at the helm.
Certain unfortunate things later, contributions weakened and we were back to square one. Though infrequently, we still sustained the publication and cut to present, we are still sailing on. ICTian has been a great learning experience for me. If someone would ask me what I call something my own, ICTian would be in the list, ofcourse as a shared property. I attach myself so very emotionally to ICTian. It pains when someone people say ICTian is dead or it's tough to keep the boat afloat, but I see a challenge in those statements and draw my inspiration.
It doesn't bother me if none of my friends read ICTian, I am happy to serve my regular readership. I am happy even if its as miniscule as 10, of course I am also happy it isn't!I still remember each and every one of those occasions when people applauded me for contributing something good and it also was a happy moment when in my Infosys interview the interviewer asked me if I has done anything innovative or novel in the college. I chose to answer regarding ICTian. Though I wouldn't call it innovative, for magazines do exist in n other colleges, I would call it novel in it's own sense in this college. I was glad the person listening was happy.
No matter what people say, no matter what DA-IICT thinks, ICTian will run till Naresh is here at least! :)
PS: Contributions for The ICTian can be made at ictian@da-iict.org. Wait for the new issue to arrive anytime starting of the next week. ICTian can be viewed at ictian.da-iict.org(can be viewed only in DA-IICT).

12 Comments:

At August 11, 2005 6:24 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

No wonder you are watching Megastar movies these days, I can see the upshot of the cause.

 
At August 11, 2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yo mammaaa!!!!!


me too waiting eagerly for the new issue, although for more selfish motives [>)] anyway, mamma, congrats and wish you luck in all such further endeavours...

yeyyy tu to yaaar....

 
At August 11, 2005 8:16 PM, Blogger Anjalika said...

hey naresh...good u havn't lost hope...so what if the mag,u part of ur dream,has turned, more or less,into a fiasco...i'm glad u havn't given up...the btr part of u is that ur not corrupt and ur opinions are not biased...these are the basic components required to be a good writer,esp when want to pass on a msg...for a social cause...u rem che guevara?
"let the world change...and u can change the world",has been quoted by him in the book,"the motorcycyle diaries"..
i'm a student of jour,but u know wat hap wiht me in my 1st intern..all my important bylines were taken by my seniors,and i was left with few of the inconsequential ones...shocked!!!but next time onwards,i will not anybdy do that with me again..
reg the contributions to ur article..presently,u can use my poem form the blog(written in red)..well,not a gr8 poem,but no big deal..sry it has no title,probably u cud give a gud one..
chal...take care and also have faith in ur capabilities...u'll soon fly high,but dn't forget,there's something called the gravity..lol

 
At August 12, 2005 1:25 PM, Blogger I Am Sam said...

rightly said naresh, it's your enthusiasm which has lighten ICTIAN so long. It's nice that you are again recollecting the efforts to start it again.
best of luck.. definitely this time we should contribute to make it talk of college..

 
At August 12, 2005 11:41 PM, Blogger Gururaj said...

Seriously baap.....never let it bcom a gg....Keep goin...

 
At August 13, 2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Arpit said...

ICTian and Naresh.. seems kinda synonyms!! dOOde continue wid it, its a gr8 thing.
btw are love writings eligible for ICTian?? .. :D

 
At August 13, 2005 11:20 PM, Blogger Y.M. said...

Can i contribute some articles for IICTian???he he!!
i can understand your love for ur msg completely....this feeling of achievement n of possessing something is divine...i am sure 10 yrs down the line , when u ll look back these small small achievemnents make u so proud of ur self....
keep up the good work and dont let ur baby die?may be i can help u somehow...we have dealt with similar situations...vaise i m sure u dont need any help n u can easily manage on ur own...but jus in case , you have something to discuss you know my email id..:)

 
At August 16, 2005 11:37 PM, Blogger [Amod] said...

I was one of the few who attended the initial meeting for ICTian, but then I couldn't become a part of ICTian for some reasons... though I contributed to chess puzzles section of ICTian regularly, and it was one of the popular stuff! I remember in second issue of ICTian I got a whopping 27 replies!! But then chess section was scrapped for no reason at all, and I wasn't even informed. So that was my last acquaintance with ICTian. I didn't open ictian.da-iict.org after that as it has lost its meaning for me. Yeah I remember you, Vivek and Anand Agrawal sweating for ICTian, that was indeed appreciable!!! Surely this is something which you can remember forever! Kudos!!

 
At August 21, 2005 8:28 AM, Blogger Alaknanda said...

coolio...:)

ssup?hows u?

 
At August 21, 2005 9:14 AM, Blogger Video Editor said...

Moveable Type to get a face lift
Movable Type 3.2 is set to be released next week and the new version is said to include more features for administration, ease of use, and community management.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a commercial real estate site. It pretty much covers commercial real estate related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At August 22, 2005 4:31 AM, Blogger Smartalec said...

who said none of ur friends reads the ictian:o?! believe it or not, many love the ictian! but i do agree with you abt the lackadaisical attitude of the people when it came to making contributions! can't criticize them myself coz shamefully i was also one of them:(! but i feel real bad that instead if investing my time in good activities like these, i wasted hours and days playing cs and q3!
but dude! a job well done! the ictian is doing fine! u 3 guys (anand, vivek n urself) do deserve a standing ovation!

 
At August 23, 2005 5:07 PM, Blogger saurav said...

I agree with Rahul...
BTW i've changed mu url
http://surgingwaves.blogspot.com/
plzz update it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home