The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Saturday, July 28, 2007

EoF

Nope... This isnt any End of File... It is end of a fairytale... Another fairy tale called vacation! Every brings with it amazing moments with friends, parents and siblings... It is so tough to leave home to college after a vacation, especially to a place where it takes ten minutes to open the Create Post page in Blogger :P

The first thing we bargain for a career is family, and we say we do everything we do for our family. How fair is this?

Coming to college, it feels hmmm... ok to be back in college. Its a new beginning. It is very strange to have a 3 month layoff from the campus in a 20 month programme. It kinds of pulls away from your mind the 8 months of memories enscribed on your mind, and when you reach back to ensue the remaining part of the programme, you feel like you are starting everything all over again. Anyway, since the action hasnt all begun yet, cant think this feeling for granted too!

Back to career-making, IIM-B has come out with a grading mechanism where it says it considers scoring patterns from high school itself. What if someone, a late starter like me may be, wakes up towards the end of his college, realises his interest and makes an earnest attempt to make a career?! Should his high school or something which he calls past pull him back?

This raises the fundamental question of time in my mind. What is the time when someone should realise about their career? In my high school, I remember myself as the boy raving about his new bicycle, craving for an outing with parents, trying out new panipuri stalls in the colony. I never knew I had to marry and have kids and raise a family, and support it! I mean, I saw others doing it, but it never struck to my cognizance that I had to do it one day and hence I better plan. It all fell into place with the course of time.

So, where does that put us? Does that mean, irrespective of what you would be doing later, you just try and ace everything you study? Doesnt that typecast probable brilliant minds into study machines?! Doesnt that inhibit the intellectual capacities of young minds only into books? Not that I would have been an Einstein had I not been co-erced to study, I would have atleast tried my hand at something else, I would have probably learnt something which I dont probably know now... This must have been what most of us felt at one point or the other in time.

Where does this leave us?! Should we live for a career or make a career to live? A successful career should have passion, motivation and loads of zeal according to me, but it should all be topped with a sense and sensibility to make sense to what you really are, and where you really belong to! It is indeed not about money, honey!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At July 28, 2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Gabbar said...

Nice entry, I really like the line "Should we live for a career or make a career to live". It is so true. I think whatever IIM B's selection procedure is, it should not be made public like this. Imagine coaching institutes now enrolling students from class 10th for CAT preparation since you need to score well in 10th, 12th and graduation.

 
At July 29, 2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Prasoon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 29, 2007 4:37 PM, Blogger Prasoon said...

What if someone, a late starter like me may be, wakes up towards the end of his college, realises his interest and makes an earnest attempt to make a career?! Should his high school or something which he calls past pull him back? - Arpita needs to read this - PERIOD !!!

 
At July 31, 2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Dk said...

when someone should realise about their career?--career VS profession doubts...is our profession our career...i wanted to be a comp guy when i was in school and now i want to leave it asap. Burn outs! can't help them...they r a lil 2 regular for me..but for all of us they may be once in a while...but they are there...and passion, motivation and loads of zeal, every thing is repetitive, most of the work.....so its tough to find(at least for me) what to do with our lives...and ya..once at a certain comfort level..money isnt an issue for sure!

 
At July 31, 2007 12:20 PM, Blogger desh said...

career- i thnk humans messed it up with all the technology growth n stuff
we wud have been bttr off as peasants, just imagine u must hav had like 14 kids till now just 6 months of rice growing to do and then njoi ;)

 
At July 31, 2007 12:21 PM, Blogger desh said...

@prasoon
tok smthng for a change whch makes sense to everyone :)

 
At July 31, 2007 7:13 PM, Blogger Smartalec said...

passion, zeal, motivation! sensibility on top of that! i seem to be lacking a lot of much needed traits :p

nice post, man! but i seriously doubt for how many money ain't the important criteria... people have a tendency to picture the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :)

I never knew I had to marry and have kids and raise a family, and support it! I mean, I saw others doing it, but it never struck to my cognizance that I had to do it one day and hence I better plan.

sighs! now we know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home