The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Monday, February 06, 2006

Me

I have always believed that there are two types of people: Those who do things exactly as per convention, and those who do things exactly against the convention. Then, I met the third kind: Me. The statement may look inspired, but the inner meaning is what my conscience conspired.

There are some people who do things exactly the way they have to be done. They don't take risks, they go by the book. From their clothes to their career choices, they do everything the way legend has it. Take the option, analyse pros and cons, and see what similar people in similar predicaments did earlier and proceed the same way. No risks, no tensions. Everything is planned. Maktub! sort of thing... But then, life isn't an assembly of some machine where you do evrything as it is to be done. Variety is the spice of life, and sometimes everyone must tread a different path. What life is it if you haven't done things not be done or if you haven't done things that have never been done?

Then, there are people who feel that variety is life. They go against everything. If something is convention, they are against it. Never anything routine, never anything common, always in a mad rush to stand apart from the crowd. But, why? Why should you take risks which will more probably give you failure than success? Why risk some good opportunities just because they are with the stream? Why not do something as per the norm, if the norm is good and enables you to be sanguine?

Then, I am. I am somewhere in between these. I want to tread paths untouched, I want to do things avant garde, I want to do things very rarely done or have never been done, but then I cant risk everything. I want to be sanguine, I want to be at a place where I know even if the stream is against me, the shore is so near that a leap will take me to safer grounds. I want to be away from the crowd, but only as far where if there is a storm, I can jump into the crowd. I want to set examples, but I am afraid I may not be a Derozio. For that matter, I dont want to be Mr. ABC who has not done anything interesting or different all his life, and led a life which no one remembers!

Sometimes, I am very uncertain of what I want in life, but then I always carry the fire in me that I want something which satiates every bit of me. What I am doing, what I have done, and what I will be doing have been/is/will be satisfactory for sure I know, but still I want something else. Something more challenging, something more...

But then, all these come at a price, the price of risking my future. It may satiate me and my instincts, but then will it do justice to the societal constraints that bind me? Will it help me maintain a family, prosper as per what the society says? I don't need them, I don't want to maintain a family if I get something so out of the box that it will answer all my qualms, but what about the family that I have come from? Anyone who is making a career decision has to think of two things: The family that has brought him here, and the family that he will start making from here. Both are the same actually, but then the responsibilities of the individual in question are different in both paradigms!

Finally, the question stills sustains and I am sure a majority of people around me are in the same doldrums, just that they don't spit it out. Are we the first kind or the second kind or are we all the third kind which is more of a compromise than a trade-off.

11 Comments:

At February 06, 2006 8:47 PM, Blogger Prasoon said...

dude - there u go !!
the third kind rocks n if u take my word - the second one too is lot of fun n y care of failures if u've calculated the results already - its an experience all in all.. u know how much i believe in maktub too :P
whatever, seems like i'm not alone yet am away from the crowd of all the two kinds :)
btw, do i fall in any of the three exactly or do i need to create a psycotic kind for myself ?

 
At February 06, 2006 9:29 PM, Blogger sriram said...

nods of aqpproval are all i have...
the post really connected man..and usin the RDB line, cheesy dude...;)

 
At February 06, 2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Saraswathi said...

This analogy u picked is cool...am really not sure which category i fall into..so i conveniently stick to de 3rd kind:P
ya der shud be this fire to do something in life dat keeps u going....
on the whole,well written thots which every person can relate to in some way or the other...

 
At February 06, 2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Pandhu said...

Inspired statement haan.... mmm... why do i feel that somebody said it about someone going for a death sentence.. but.. well i can't put my finger on it.. /:) hahaa.. anyway..

i am as confused as you are pal... but i am firm in my confustion.(now i am confused about my spelling of confusion)... anyway...
I think it is totally ok to be confused, because thats what set you thinking na? What is life if you don't have to think about anything, and everything is laid out perfectly well?

"The family that has brought him here, and the family that he will start making from here."
Suno Naresh...everybody loves their families..but not everyone loves themselves. Love yourself first (nothing to do with false egoism) king(i am quite sure you do) and you won't be making mistakes that easily.

 
At February 06, 2006 11:59 PM, Blogger Myndfcukd said...

Read Paulo Coelho. Go to bed.Dream.

 
At February 07, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Gururaj said...

You need to risk your future if you can dream for a better future than the future you dream of as your future future.
I mean, arey, either you mess up and get lost in dust or your glory is heard like tyagaraju kirtanas.
But, if you go by the book, you might just be bill gates's neigbour, but who notices you?
And after all, what do we crave for in life?? Money, Yes, Fame, YES,....honesty...hmm....Maybe you will end up with good money even in a secure path, but the fame and the lights......Only the flying pigs will get'em.
Go swat them out be. Try to fly and try not to fall too hard and then try to fly.

 
At February 07, 2006 12:04 PM, Blogger Gururaj said...

I have my binoculars ready to see ya..Start flying

 
At February 07, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

The world is yet to see a prototype like me. :)

You see the 2nd category people might be iconoclastic but what you have to realise that succes in the conventional view is not the same in their view. So it gives conventional people no right to say that the other kind is not following the right path to success.

As I see it most people in today's generation fall into your kind, the yesteryear's in the former kind since the contemporary populace wants the faster and the more beneficial route. There have been queer people since antiquity.

You see how much utility can be offered even with a commenting blog account :D

 
At February 07, 2006 11:52 PM, Blogger I Am Sam said...

there was a comment on Sania Mirza' t-shirt in US . OPEN -"Good girls do not make history". no offence to gals but that something relates to your post.

Being a first kind can lead to money but a sense of "not trying" will haunt me and risking everything makes one fool. I am of the opinion that calculated risks, road less traveled should not be untouched, and always remember there is someone who is affected by ur actions - your family..

 
At February 10, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger nag said...

dude ur post n comments r worth reading....it instigates many things....n gives a satisfaction tht many ppl of my generation do think tht way....coz so do I:-))
gud post all in all
Do u yahoo chat??if so can u give ur id

 
At February 11, 2006 3:19 AM, Blogger [Amod] said...

yes you!!dont worry, you've a wonderful life ahead, the kind of person u r, u'll always b loved and u'll find ur way out.. maktub!!no one is certain about life, the real objectives and destiny..and yes, everyone is unique!!! I really like when I find something characteristically different in a person!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home