The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Monday, January 02, 2006

Silence...

"Naresh, you are too silent! This isnt how you were at school." This is one of the most common comments I get when I catch up with old pals. I have changed a lot after school, and silence rules the changes I have undergone. I was very talkative in school, not that I amn't anymore! But, I prefer the wait and watch approach.
I bet anybody who meets me once would say, "This is a losing proposition." Let the person meet me again and let him/her talk to me personally and I am sure they would realise I amn't after all a boring person. I just take time to open up, and I like such persons too! Like minds, you see.
While rank new acquaintances rate me a quiet person and an introvert, the best of my pals would say the day I stopped speaking it would rain diamonds :P I actually meet a new person, listen others and the person talk and talk like there was no tomorrow from the second time. Lucky me that I never met a new person alone, except for one occasion and that person knows me as a very talkative person! :)
Actually, I like Silence. Ever sat in silence and tried to recollect the best parts of the day. And silence not necessarily means a state of no sound. It means a state of peace, a state where your mind is free of any turbulence, a state where you are free to think of what you want. The best silence for me is some soft music in background and some good book.
Silence, as the cliche goes, is golden and speech silver. Silence speaks a thousand words. If the comfort levels are high between two persons, silence communicates a lot more than what a harangue could do. People say if you are silent, you think a lot! That doesn't hold true in all cases I guess. You can just stay silent and relax, just not thinking of anything.
For me, Silence is observation. The first time I see people, I let them talk! I just observe and make mental notes. The second time I meet, I am ruthless! I can talk and talk and talk. Any good friend of mine will say that I haven't spoken a lot in the beginning. I see this as a good thing. Being silent allows you to stand and stare. As a friend of mine put it, Silence is Bliss! It is best thing you could have asked for when you feel out of place.
People say being silent is trying to be diplomatic, tryin to act philosophical! I feel its just trying to acclimatise youself to the group. Trying to find your identity among people who you are meeting for the first time or after a long time.
Whatever the interpretation people bring out of one's Silence, its a prized possession to anyone who can manage it because its always better to stay silent and remain alien than speak out of place and be termed a fool.
So people till then... Silence, The King's court is in session :P

5 Comments:

At January 02, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Mirage said...

Silence is good. I like silence... helps me listen to things that wud otherwise go by unheard.

Btw, happy new year buddy!

 
At January 02, 2006 11:36 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

Silence is not my bag Sir for if I were silent the first impressions I leave would have been a lot different :D

But yes there is this saying that people can sit silently with other but can walk away with the feeling that they have had the best conversation in their life :D

 
At January 03, 2006 4:15 AM, Blogger Alaknanda said...

hehe next time we ever get to meet its gonna be tough...coz i dont talk much either..so we shud make sure to have rahul around hehe...

 
At January 04, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger sriram said...

the last comment nailed it i guess....
whn the king is silent what are we but mere mortals:)
hehehe...but u sure give off the wrong impression wid this post

 
At January 07, 2006 1:40 AM, Blogger laksh said...

hmm after reading this post...i really want to meet u soon[:P]...will see whether u will be silent or not

 

Post a Comment

<< Home