The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Equality

We talk of equality, especially of the sexes, to a great extent. Its almost a style statement to say you believe in equality in sexes of late. Every other person - male or female- talks about equality of sexes with so much conviction, one tends to believe it indeed exists.

I was at a distributor's daughter's birthday party last noon. As it has been over the past few months, I was interacting with a bunch of retailers, a part of my team and some relatives of the host. Everyone was singing praises of the host because both his off-springs are daughters and he is still happy. What the hell. A girl child at home is a bad omen or what? What makes them think a person with two daughters and no son should be unhappy?

I know of couples who have had 4 children for the sake of a male child. I feel so sorry when you judge a child at birth itself. I dont judge who is better, cos at the end of the day, we are all parts of that puzzle we need to make sense of and each of us contributes in our own unique way. But it is the prejudices of people which should have been erased but are still intact, which enrages me. A male, no guarantee of what he grows up to be, is considered a gift and female, a curse.

When I was at a Madarassa in the interiors of UP, and saw a well dedicated to throw your girl child at birth and kill her, I was thankful that people in my state were not that backward-thinking. But we are no better. I have listened to spine-chilling stories of how girls in the houses of my team or my channel partners were killed, or got married against their wishes or discontinued studies. The stories are so heart-breaking you tend to forget if its happening to a man or a woman, you feel sorry for yourself that all these are happening in the world you are a part of!

Frankly speaking, an urban woman gets much more than what she should in the name of equality. I have always been a firm believer than when you believe men and women are equal, there ends the matter, no more concessions should be extended towards either parties. Exceptions and explanations can make another post.

Coming back to the rural setup, a woman has still not progressed. In a sales setup, a woman has no place, and a female MT from a reputed B-School is talked about cheaply because she is a woman and has chosen sales. Pity! The mothers, wives and sisters of all the people I meet in the up-country locations have a similar profile -discontinued studies somewhere in high school, got married before they could vote, and have been living the normal routine in the kitchen ever since then. Nothing has changed. No Equality. And we are still fighting over seats for women in buses, shorter queues for them at movie halls etc etc...

8 Comments:

At August 18, 2009 5:56 PM, Blogger Sangeetha Kodithala said...

You're right. There's still no equality whatsoever. I know of many educated, 6-figure salary earning couples that prefer having a male child than a female child.

Urban woman might be slightly better but she too faces problems - eve teasing, abuse while driving (I face many men showing a finger once they overtake me) etc etc. As you said, the matter ends when everyone thinks both the sexes are equal - which is nowhere close as I see it!

 
At August 18, 2009 8:50 PM, Blogger Manasa said...

True. There need not be reservations in buses, movie theatres or any other place in this whole wide world. I don't believe in reservations for women, or any other community for that matter, in the parliament houses either. I also despise the concept of segregation of the sexes in classrooms. I don't see the point of making girls and boys sitting separately. It happened one day in my class in college where a girl and a guy had to sit on the same bench because that was the only bench left. That day both of them were stared at, made fun of not only by students but some teachers as well. I don't get what was so wrong in sitting on the same bench. I don't understand why girls and boys are treated as two completely different species from two different worlds. To me, both are the same species, not something where one should be kept away from the other.
Speaking of parents wanting a boy child in the family, this is a harsh reality of society we can't really do anything about, except being an example to others. My mother prayed for a girl child when she conceived, literally performed poojas for it, much to the surprise of everybody else she knew. And when her second daughter was born, and the nurse asked if she was happy about it, she lectured the nurse about how there was nothing wrong with having two girls. I feel really lucky to be born to such a family! :)
I pity those families who are of such a biased opinion. It's really sad that these things exist!

 
At August 19, 2009 1:23 PM, Blogger Jam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 19, 2009 1:27 PM, Blogger Jam said...

Minor disagreement with "Urban women are treated equally".
Maybe they're treated equally on parameters visible to / perceived to you.
Just this morning I happened to overhear a conversation where one girl's not considering GMAT coz she knows her father won't let her go outside the country!

But leave all this aside... This blog post is coming from the BOY who can't boil water while his two SISTERS can cook! :P

 
At August 20, 2009 3:19 PM, Blogger Mirage said...

Though there has been much talk of equal rights for women, I'd still say its a man's world. It is still the men who decide how a woman shud b treated. There are so called better incentives for working women, but thts only because they expect her to manage her house as well once she's bak from work, while the men just wait to be served. This is the case in urban cities so u can imagine the state in rural places... I dnt want to sound pessimistic, but the mindset of our society cannot be changed. thts coz at some level we women have accepted our role as the so-called 'weaker sex'.

 
At September 25, 2009 12:27 PM, Blogger desh said...

Rural: some diff culture if you look at women from chattisgarh, or lets say from himachal, much more independent and better control

AP & UP are states where the need for power is high, and the way of expressing it is dominating women, a thread running common across lot of states

and I wud agree with smone here who said tht its better in cities, I believe even at workplace women are still not given the freedom and respectg they deserve, althoguh all employers want them, they shud also give them respect as a women...

baaki its a running forever topic, althgh read smthng interesting this month, tht the female workforce in US wud cross the male one soon :)

 
At August 24, 2010 9:34 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

Whenever I hear 'Oh two boysaa. So no minuses only plus. Aha aha' I'm like 'Oh 32 teethaa one punch all fallaaa'. Freaks.

 
At April 25, 2018 8:19 AM, Blogger Kamal said...

Its been almost a decade since you wrote this blog. The situation has only worsened bro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home