The Enigma

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Friday, August 14, 2009

Power

When we say the powerful call it shots in this country, its true. I always thought our society had been emergin towards decentralisation of power so much tht the word power will soon lose its sanctity cos evryone wud b as powerful as any other.
But alas, no. Powerful ppl still exploit the powerless. The major disparity in power, esp in rural India, comes in wealth. The respect a rich guy wud gave a poor guy, howevr little tht was n whtevr reason it was for, in a Delhi or a Hyderabad was no whr to be seen for me in a Barabanki, a Kursi or a Nalgonda for me. The poor are still ants, stomped upon evryone above them.
Today a poor, young employee came running to me n complained that a rich, middle-aged guy punched him. Reason: my guy was dng his job, which included business ideals which did not comply wid the rich guy's whims! I thot an apology 4m the rich guy wud b the solution, n got it. I knew it was half-hearted. When he was mvng out, I cud c the glitter in his eye tht he emerged unscathed.
Thr was still a frustration, wid no solution to it. A slave to social networks tht I am, I thought my feelings wud b shared thr, n I always thot thtz wht these n/ws r 4, but I realised my network is full of blokes who can poke fun at someone's pain and get away with it. Injustice here too. These blokes, probly even am one such, are lost in comforts of life and cant understand the pain of a guy wrkng his ass of to earn a meagre 3K a month. Probly v all r like tht. This is the power of comfort tht has blinded us to the feelings of others.
Thtz when I realised I cud hv some power too, n summoned it. The brat is now behind the bars n the glitter is now in the eye of my boy who smiles thinkin this is justice.
But at the end of the day, thrz still frustration. LOTS of it. Whtz right? Whtz wrong? Have I misused my power? Do we all do it all the time? Dont we understand power?
Ppl r not the right ones to answer these, as twitter taught me. Probly its time. Time can only answer, n till then probly v all need to file our queries in these blogposts.
Thr is still frustration in me, but atleast a solace tht something has come out of me.
PS: Sorry 4 all the (mis)formatting n the shortcuts in typing, am bloggin 4m a mobile.

11 Comments:

At August 14, 2009 1:07 AM, Blogger TMaYaD said...

passionate.
can't wait till you get a pc.
i saw the poke. in all honesty it is a good one. trouble being your tweet and poke are text messages without emotions attached and thus easily misinterpreted. don't take it hard.

 
At August 14, 2009 1:08 AM, Blogger TMaYaD said...

btw a true king stands upto his subjects and peers too. ;)

 
At August 14, 2009 1:27 AM, Blogger PSR Chaitanya said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 14, 2009 1:28 AM, Blogger PSR Chaitanya said...

I get where you're coming from,but for me "These blokes, probly even am one such, are lost in comforts of life and cant understand the pain of a guy wrkng his ass of to earn a meagre 3K a month" was a little far fetched.

I understand your getting hurt but a little bit of himour was not out of place, at least not on twitter! Should you need "those blokes", am sure they wouldn't let you down ! :)

 
At August 14, 2009 1:37 AM, Blogger Naresh said...

@psr and @tmayad Its v blokes actually. Am sure I wud poke fun the same way if sm frnd in australia texted abt attacks on Indians thr. V r all blokes who stand by each other, in our comfort zone, but when v r out of it, v r those powerful who dont care for the powerless.

 
At August 14, 2009 1:39 AM, Blogger Naresh said...

@tmayad and dude... The post is no retort to the poke, man! Remember v r all birds of the same feather ;) i still feel i shud hv done something else. Wht? I dont know, but something... Enti? Enti? Enti? :-/

 
At August 14, 2009 2:40 AM, Blogger Prasoon said...

No you did not use your power when you got the right person behind the bars, you just did a good deed.

And for this (mis)formatting - you could have asked me to help here!

 
At August 14, 2009 10:07 AM, Blogger Gupt said...

dude.. you too knew that those comments were just for fun and not from heart.. After all thats what we all do over twitter.. but look positively, you realized ur power after that which put that guy behind bars.. good for ur sales guy..

 
At August 14, 2009 12:24 PM, Blogger Sangeetha Kodithala said...

A good thought. I agree with Prasoon when he says you just did a good deed and not used your power. That's exactly one needs to do to ensure justice, no need to exercise "power". The saying that "Give power to a man to test his character" is so apt. You get to see people's character and intentions when they have moolah and power in hand. The attitude is ingrained in rural population mainly because of the caste system and lack of education.

I'm sure the attitudes will slowly change with more people getting educated. But ya, that's a long time ahead, not in the near future.

About the social n/wing, you admitted to be such bloke too, and I completely agree. If someone made a dispassionate comment in a humorous way, it's as a response to your equally dispassionate tweet. If you had elaborated on what YOU felt, am sure their response would be different. Don't blame the poor folks :)

P.S. With the kind of travel you did on job and the perspectives you had gained, I seriously feel you should blog more often, mainly to bring out these perspectives to others who don't get such exposure. You'll do a hell of good to yourself and others.

 
At August 14, 2009 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ! Thank you for sharing this. I needed to be reminded today of the power of words....Wow..nice blog...

gaurvi
orangy

 
At August 17, 2009 9:54 PM, Blogger Manasa said...

You did the right thing... and a good thing. You put the brat behind the bars. You stood by your employee when he needed it the most. What more could you have done?

And yeah, you should blog more often!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home